Here are the changes being applied to BTEC first and Nationals on 1st September 2014:
- No more ‘multiple’ submissions and careful with leading feedback e.g. for a P1 you must … is no longer allowed
- One Submission
- One Possible resubmission (if all the conditions are met)
- One possible retake if exceptional circumstances & confident of success
- You must: Set deadlines in your Assessment Plan for the assessment deadlines resubmission opportunity.
- The learner must work independently on their assignment to produce and prepare evidence for assessment before the final submission deadline.
- One and ONLY one submission of evidence for assessment.
- One opportunity to resubmit evidence if the learner has met all the necessary conditions and the resubmission is authorised by the Lead Internal Verifier (see conditions)
- One opportunity for a retake (for which a new assignment must be written and verified) for BTEC Firsts and Nationals on the Qualifications and Credit Framework only. PASS grade only (except for some exceptions – see later on)
- Must be authorised by the Lead Internal Verifier.
- The External Standards Verifier will require records of all resubmissions and include these in their sample.
Who the new rules apply to:
New learners only registered and teaching commences from 1st September 2014
The rules apply to:
• all BTEC Firsts
• all BTEC Nationals BUT NOT ENTRY LEVEL, LEVEL 1 OR LEVEL 7 Edexcel are waiving the application of the new Internal Assessment rules for those learners who are mid-programme (including ‘top-ups’). REMEMBER: These rules will only apply to new registrations from September 2014. This includes BTEC qualifications on the:
• National Qualifications Framework (NQF) and the
• Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF).
• Pearson Self-Regulated Framework (SRF). If your SRF qualification was developed using QCF or NQF methodology, you need to follow the assessment rules for that framework.
New Feedback Rules:
You can offer practice tests or mocks in the Learning Phase, to Guide the Learner only Once the brief is given out, then this is no longer appropriate No Feedback on achievement until final marking is confirmed once the brief is issued.
Only ONE submission by the learner
If the Learner achieves first time, no resubmission or retake is needed. Record the Grade and move on. However, if the learner needs to re-submit, they must meet certain conditions first.
OPPORTUNITIES FOR RESUBMISSION – RULES:
PROCEDURES FOR RESUBMISSION
Retakes are not available on BTEC Firsts and Nationals on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) but some Early Years Programmes (CCLD CPLD) have exceptions. See Edexcel for information. and QCF: The QCF does not allow for compensation – this means that BTEC Firsts and Nationals on the QCF require learners to achieve every pass criterion in order to successfully achieve the qualification, there are some exceptions. Variations On QCF Engineering or Health and Social Care courses, some units have PASS criteria which are not related to Merit and Distinction criteria. Therefore, for these particular and specialised units, the rule regarding a Pass only does not apply, IF, the learner has already achieved all the MERIT & DISTINCTION criteria and only need some PASS criteria.
If they achieve the Pass on the retake, they are awarded the PM and D. Other courses where the Pass is clearly linked to Merit and Distinction criteria mean that Pass Grade only is achievable on a Retake. NQF courses also have some variation for CCLD, CPLD Early Years courses. Please ask Edexcel for information on these.
RULES FOR QCF RETAKES
RULES FOR NQF RETAKES
OVERVIEW OF INTERNAL ASSESSMENT AND FEEDBACK RULES
The retake must be a new task or assignment targeted only to the pass criteria which were not achieved in the original assignment.
• Please see the BTEC Centre Guide to Assessment for further information on writing assignments for retakes.
• The assessor must agree and record a clear deadline before the learner starts a retake.
• The learner and the assessor must sign declarations of authentication as they both did for the previous submissions.
• Standards Verifiers will require you to include evidence of any retakes in sampling.
• The assessor cannot award a merit or distinction grade for a retake.
• The learner will not be allowed any further resubmissions or retakes.