Pivotal Education Tip 39 for FE
"Put your phone away!"
We often get asked for tips to get students to put away their mobile phones. So we have compiled a list of ideas to help you combat this most testing and persistent of classroom problems.
- Socks for each student to put their phone in at the beginning of the session, locked away until the end.
- Students hand in their phone batteries at the beginning of the session.
- Students write their own 'phone agreement' with you so that everyone has a voice in what happens and why.
- Agree the rule 'phone on silence and in bags'.
- Have a 1 minute agreed 'phone check' in the middle of lessons to alleviate phone addiction.
- Model putting your own phone away and have a routine where they do the same.
- Have a place in the room to leave all bags and coats and phones.
- Have a mechanism for any student who needs to be contacted in an emergency and explain this to the students.
- Reward and reinforce serial offenders when they manage to go a full hour without looking at their phone - use positive peer influence to encourage them.
- Use phones as part of learning at specific times to differentiate between appropriate and inappropriate use of phones.
- Have a 'phone box' rather than a 'swear box' where students are fined 50p if their phone goes off in the lesson (money to charity).
- Get a fake phone and agree a scene in the middle of a lesson with a student where you lose your temper, smash it and jump up and down on it.
Also have a look at this tip on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onLmrWD1sfo
To see more from the fabulous Pivotal Education team click here
© Paul Dix 2001-12